The very best practice from the waste and resource sector was celebrated on Thursday night by more than 600 people at the National Recycling Awards at the London Hilton on Park Lane, hosted by comedian Hal Cruttenden.
Sixteen categories of awards were fought over, with Booker taking the Retail Award, William Tracey won Best Resource Management Business (Large), while Cummins claimed both the Waste Prevention and Corporate Recycler trophies.
The 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award went to the director general of the Environmental Services Association (ESA) Barry Dennis, above.
MRW editor Robin Latchem, right, said: “I’m always a little unsure about ‘lifetime’ because it has a certain finality about it – but I’m hoping that won’t worry Barry, who has been in the business for over 50 years in a variety of roles and has genuinely seen - and overseen - huge changes in the waste industry over those years.
“At the ESA, he has also had a leading role in the development of the association to one which has become a key authority in the sector. On all of these counts, Barry is a hugely worthy winner and I was honoured to present him with his award.”
Dennis said: “It is an honour to accept the Lifetime Achievement Award from MRW, and I would like to thank them for selecting me.
“The changes I have seen in the industry over the last 50 years shows how the Government’s approach to resource management has altered. With the development of the circular economy and the recent European Commission announcement of new targets, I am sure that the next 50 years will be just as exciting.”
- Lifetime Achievement of the Year - Barry Dennis, Environmental Services Association
- Waste Prevention Award – Cummins
- Best Recycled Product – F-Board
- Construction Recycler of the Year - Brookfield Multiplex Construction Europe
- Efficiency Initiative of the Year - Electrical Waste Recycling Group
- Electrical and Electronic Recycler of the Year – Stone Group
- Best Energy From Waste Initiative - Chinook Sciences, Oldbury End Stage Recycling Plant
- Healthcare Recycler of the Year - Queen Elizabeth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, King’s Lynn
- Public Service Recycler of the Year – Environment Agency
- Resource Management Business of the Year [Small] - Greenstream Flooring CIC
- Resource Management Business of the Year [Large] - William Tracey
- Innovation of the Year – Equipment - Aquablast Recyclatrack
- Corporate Recycler of the Year – Cummins
- Best Partnership Project - Lancashire Community Recycling Network
- Local Authority Innovation - Recycle for Greater Manchester
- Retail/Service Sector Recycler of the Year – Booker
- Team of the Year - Cheshire East Council Recycling and Waste Team