Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Electrical and Electronic Equipment Recycler of the Year: SCC

SCC’s recycling services extract the maximum value from redundant kit by recycling technology back into businesses, remarketing it to create a revenue stream or securely disposing of it in accordance with the WEEE directive. It aims to help customers turn the burden of compliance for environmental legislation into cost savings of up to 90% on capital expenditure.

It sets out to recycle 20% of all IT waste it collects, with the remaining 80% remarketed to create a revenue stream for customers and offset their costs, as well as supporting Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes.

It runs a zero waste to landfill policy, ensuring all the waste it recovers is utilised to its full potential. The business focuses on three core areas; refurbishment, remarketing and disposal.

Its carbon neutral, state-of-the-art recycling centre is unique in the UK as the only facility able to offer each of these services all under one roof, ensuring a secure and fully managed process, in addition to a comprehensive portfolio of on-site asset recovery solutions.

SCC also offers a full portfolio of on and off-site data erasure and destruction solutions that provide its customers with a visual, certified and certificated auditing process.

Its market innovations include providing customers with GreenIT solutions which facilitate the recovery of redundant IT. In 2012, its range was expanded to include the SecureIT Box and the StoreIT Bin.

The judges said: “We are impressed by the elements of refurbishment, reuse and data cleansing compliance. This entry made a determined effort to focus on the scale and impact of its operations and as a model it offers real opportunities for replication and expansion.”

Finalists:

  • Absolute Recycling
  • Enterprise Peterborough
  • Innov8 Disposal
  • Recolight
  • Surrey Health Borough Council
  • SWEEEP Kuusakoski

Sponsor’s comment from Repic:

Repic is the UK’s largest waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) compliance scheme, funded by major electrical and electronic (EEE) producers to deliver WEEE, battery and packaging solutions to meet UK regulations.

Repic is committed to providing maximum compliance at competitive cost through best environmental practices, and as such, prefers to deal directly with the collectors of end of life product to provide the comfort and security that it is properly handled and processed through short, clear, auditable routes.

Repic funds the collection, transport, and treatment of around half of all separately collected household WEEE each year in the UK.  The company’s scale of operation and unique, robust funding method provides long-term security to its members, collection and treatment partners.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.