The South London Waste Partnership, a joint initiative between the boroughs of Croydon, Kingston, Merton and Sutton, is currently in the process of identifying potential sites that are suitable for waste management.
These additional eight sites were all put forward by residents, land owners and waste operators during an initial stage of consultation between July and October last year when 28 sites were shortlisted.
All of these eight sites scored relatively poorly during the initial consultation and did not make the shortlist. However, the SLWP is now asking local residents for their views on them, to ensure no stone is left unturned.
South London Waste Partnership chair Councillor Simon James said: It is critically important that the South London Waste Plan is robust and reflects the views of local people.
There are a variety of different sites making up the additional eight, three in Kingston, three in Sutton, one in Merton and one in Croydon.
Of the eight, there are four which are supported by both a land owner and waste operator.
Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames media officer John Haynes said: We are making a particular point of writing to residents of who live in the vicinity of these four sites to make them aware of the consultation, although we are welcoming comments on all eight sites.
An estimated 20 hectares of land is needed across the four boroughs to accommodate new waste facilities that are going to be required between now and 2021.
The consultation is open until March 22.