Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Airport contract awarded to SWR

SWR has won a contract to manage the waste at Edinburgh Airport, which has nine million passengers a year and employs 2,500 staff employed including those in retail outlets, restaurants and bars.

The airport generates around 2,000 tonnes of waste a year from a variety of sources, including aircraft, catering and retail outlets, general maintenance and construction.

Currently, Edinburgh Airport recycles an 52% of all waste and has a goal of hitting 70% by 2020. It aims to process the remaining 30% so that no waste will be sent to landfill by that time.

Environment manager at Edinburgh Airport Victoria Barby said: “Our first priority is to reduce the amount of waste generated through improved efficiency and more thoughtful selection of goods. Attention will then shift to the treatment of the waste stream, encouraging re-use, recycling, re-processing and composting.

“We have now entered into a new contract with SWR who have put in place a bespoke waste solution to ensure that we get the best possible results. By employing experts to manage our waste, we have been able to realise benefits very quickly and it allows our staff to get on with the business of running the airport.”

SWR’s general manager for Scotland, Stephen Cameron, said: “Although the airport was by no means performing poorly, we were able to identify number of additional efficiencies that could be made to streamline the management and disposal of their waste. From the first day of the contract we set about engaging with all stakeholders in the waste process and quickly making positive changes.”

SWR’s goal is not only to improve recycling performance but also to manage costs for Edinburgh Airport. SWR expects that the recent 14% increase in Landfill Tax and general waste disposal costs will be offset by the airport’s improved operational efficiencies.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.