Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Asda store set to send zero waste to landfill

Retail store Asda has reiterated its pledge to send zero waste to landfill from its store in Bootle, Merseyside.

Asda is working with Veolia Environmental Services to divert all its waste away from landfill.

The store opened in October last year and previously diverted 99% of its operational waste away from landfill (see MRW story). Asda has now removed the stores waste compactor and has pledged to stop sending the remaining 1% of its food, recycling and general store waste to landfill.

Asda head of sustainability policy Julian Walker-Palin said: This a major step towards ensuring that we reach our goal of sending zero waste to landfill by the end of 2010.

Not only will our commitment have a huge impact on the environment, it will also save us money which we can plough back into lowering prices for our customers, while proving to the rest of the industry that it can be done. We certainly hope that other retailers will follow our lead so that together we can consign landfill sites to the history books.

Image: Asda's Bootle store

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.