Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Barbecue coals suspected of causing landfill fire

Viridor has said that coal used in barbecues over the recent bank holiday weekend was the likely cause of a fire at its Trigon landfill site in Wareham, Dorset.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service spent three days at the site tackling the blaze before handing control back to Viridor on 4 September, so the company could dig through the waste to remove any hotspots and soak the site with water.

Dan Cooke, Viridor’s director of external affairs said: “We are currently not able to categorically confirm the cause of the fire. Whilst vandalism cannot be ruled out, experience suggests that the likely cause could be flammable or combustible waste being put into a general waste bin or, on the back of a bank holiday weekend, a disposable barbecue or used coals that were not completely cold.”

He urged people to dispose of combustible waste such as fireworks, flares and batteries appropriately, and to double-check that barbecue materials were fully extinguished before putting the into the waste stream.

Photo by Dorset Fire and Rescue Service

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.