Electrolink, a Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) producer compliance scheme has called on the Environment Minister Joan Ruddock to intervene to discuss the recent stand off by rival producer schemes to purchase its surplus recycling evidence notes. Following a meeting last Friday with its local authority and waste management contractors it has said that the minister needs to intercede in the stand off.
Electrolink sales and marketing director Paul Van Danzig said: The current position is that schemes who require WEEE evidence notes are not purchasing any evidence generated from any of our 200 plus network sites. This lack of trading is causing severe cash flow problems for local authorities, site operators and recycling companies.
The WEEE regulations state that it is the producers responsibility to finance the cost of collection, treatment, recovery and environmentally sound disposal of WEEE from private households in the compliance period. Each producer compliance scheme is required to pay for their WEEE obligations by providing evidence in the form of evidence notes, to show that they have collected their obligated amount of WEEE tonnages. Some producer schemes will have more evidence notes than others so have to trade with each other to make sure they meet their obligations.
Electrolink claim that the Environment Agency (EA) should be enforcing the WEEE Regulations by forcing producer schemes to buy the surplus WEEE evidence notes if they do not already hold sufficient amounts to meet their members obligations.
Together, our WEEE scheme partners are seeking a meeting with the ministers for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulator Reform to ask them to intervene and tell the EA to enforce the regulations now to enable cash to flow through the system.
MRW has also been told by sources that Devon County Council was considering pulling out of the Electrolink scheme. The source had seen a letter that said that Devon council wanted to pull out of the scheme because it was worried that the scheme was likely to go bust.
However, a Devon county council spokeswoman denied the claims and said that the scheme had been working well and service to the public is continuing as normal. In response, Van Danzig said: Electrolink are not aware of any letter and our relationship with Devon county council is very good. As far as we are aware Devon county council has no intention of pulling out of the contract.