Michael Fallon has been appointed the new minister for business and enterprise at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
Fallon’s remit will include electronics, low emission vehicles and the low carbon economy.
He takes over from Mark Prisk who has moved to the Department for Communities and Local Government as housing minister.
Part of Fallon’s repsonsibilties include overseeing the government’s drive to cut red tape, including environmental regulations.
Fallon’s full duties include:
- Business sectors, including low carbon economy, low emission vehicles, electronics
- Small business, enterprise and access to finance
- Competitiveness and economic growth
- Deregulation and better regulation
- Regional and local economic development (including Grants for Business Investment)
- Business support
- Olympic legacy
- Export licensing
- Royal Mail
- General oversight of Shareholder Executive and its portfolios
- Commons spokesman on Trade and Investment