Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Fears for future of landfill 'good causes' fund

The Environmental Services Association (ESA) has warned that the Landfill Communities Fund (LCF) is under threat from an unheralded change announced by the Chancellor in his recent spending review.

George Osborne’s statement to MPs on 25 November was accompanied by the Government’s response to theconsultation earlier in the year on the LCF.

The ESA is alarmed that the response, not covered in the consultation, includes the removal of the arrangement whereby third parties contribute the 10% shortfall in landfill tax payments to community projects. From 1 April, operators themselves will have to pay the difference.

The ESA says the change will cost the industry around £4m annually and is warning that operators could be prompted to leave the voluntary LCF.

ESA executive director Jacob Hayler said: “The proposed change is likely to jeopardise the future of the scheme, removing a vital funding source for local projects and leading to job losses at the environmental bodies overseeing them.

“A mere four months’ notice provides landfill operators with little time to budget, particularly when their planning timescales tend to be around five years in advance, and when some individual operators are facing unforeseen annual costs of over £500,000”.

Hayler pointed out that the fund had supported more than 50,000 community and environmental projects, with funds totalling £1.2bn.

Readers' comments (1)

  • So that's a further reduction in the value of community projects supported by the landfill tax, in addition to the diversion of funds to fight waste crime. Is this George's disguised way of discouraging the use of the LCF by forcing operators to pay the 10%, thereby ensuring that the other 90% doesn't get used.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.