Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Fire in WEEE storage area

Viridor has reported an incident involving stored waste electrical and electronic equipment at its Bargeddie Recycling Hub in North Lanarkshire.

The company website says that personnel loading a vehicle reported a small fire in a storage bay where material is held before being treated at the company’s specialist processing facility at Perth.

It said the bay contained about 30 tonnes of small domestic appliances such as irons, vacuum cleaners and microwave ovens.

The Scottish Fire & Rescue Service, Police Scotland and the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency were in attendance.

Martin Grey, communications manager for Viridor, said: “Staff followed established response plans and notified emergency services. Viridor staff are accounted for and are working with fire service personnel to bring the incident under control.

“This contained incident occurred in a storage area separate from the site’s MRF. The full Bargeddie site has been closed as a precaution until the incident has concluded.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.