Grundon Waste Management has apologised to residents in Oxfordshire after a fire broke out at a hazardous waste transfer station.
The blaze in Ewelme started on Saturday and was attended by Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and Thames Valley Police, who declared it a “major incident” involving 10 appliances from across the county, including support from Buckinghamshire & Berkshire Fire and Rescue Services.
The fire took several hours to bring under control with local residents being advised to keep windows closed as a precaution due to the resulting smoke plume. At around noon the following day, control of the depot was handed back to Grundon.
A joint investigation between Thames Valley Police, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and Grundons site staff found that the fire was accidental and caused by oily rags, ignited by sunlight.
Clayton Sullivan-Webb, managing director at Grundon, said: “We would like to apologise to any local residents who may have been inconvenienced by the smoke. This was mainly caused by burning plastic containers, solvent based paints and oily rags and aerosol cans. It was a relatively small fire which generated a lot of smoke.
“We can confirm no-one was injured during the fire, which was contained in the reception area of the transfer station.”
Meanwhile, fire fighters are still on site after a fire broke out at metal recycling firm JBM Ltd in Hixon, Staffordshire. Forty fire fighters used foam and sand to blanket 10 tonnes of burning industrial metal waste.
Station manager Bob Preston said: “We are likely to remain at the incident for two to three days as this is going to be a long drawn-out process because we are having to extinguish the fire section by section.”