Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Grundon apologises for waste transfer station fire in Oxfordshire

Grundon Waste Management has apologised to residents in Oxfordshire after a fire broke out at a hazardous waste transfer station.

The blaze in Ewelme started on Saturday and was attended by Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and Thames Valley Police, who declared it a “major incident” involving 10 appliances from across the county, including support from Buckinghamshire & Berkshire Fire and Rescue Services.

The fire took several hours to bring under control with local residents being advised to keep windows closed as a precaution due to the resulting smoke plume. At around noon the following day, control of the depot was handed back to Grundon.

A joint investigation between Thames Valley Police, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and Grundons site staff found that the fire was accidental and caused by oily rags, ignited by sunlight.

Clayton Sullivan-Webb, managing director at Grundon, said: “We would like to apologise to any local residents who may have been inconvenienced by the smoke. This was mainly caused by burning plastic containers, solvent based paints and oily rags and aerosol cans. It was a relatively small fire which generated a lot of smoke.

“We can confirm no-one was injured during the fire, which was contained in the reception area of the transfer station.”

Meanwhile, fire fighters are still on site after a fire broke out at metal recycling firm JBM Ltd in Hixon, Staffordshire. Forty fire fighters used foam and sand to blanket 10 tonnes of burning industrial metal waste.  

Station manager Bob Preston said: “We are likely to remain at the incident for two to three days as this is going to be a long drawn-out process because we are having to extinguish the fire section by section.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.