Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

King's Lynn incinerator inquiry kicks off

More than 300 supporters and opponents of the controversial plans for an incinerator at King’s Lynn in Norfolk made their cases at the opening of the public inquiry into the scheme yesterday.

The legal team for King’s Lynn and West Norfolk borough council, which opposes the energy from waste plant, claimed that the proposed site was unsuitable, and that it would be a disincentive to recycle, according to Eastern Daily Press.

The borough council added that it was pushing forward more innovative ways of dealing with waste, citing its contract with Material Works to process black bag via an anaerobic digestion (AD) facility.

The barrister for Cory Wheelabrator, the developers of the scheme, argued that the site was well suited and the scheme was a good opportunity to deliver combined heat and power.

Campaign group King’s Lynn without incineration (KLWIN) said that assertions that the incinerator would be safe were unreliable.

Vice chairman Mike Knights said: “Whether it was evidence of the excessive quantity of carbon dioxide which it will release, the likelihood of flooding, the effects of potential air pollution on the population of King’s Lynn, the actual efficiency of the plant or the many other factors involved, it became ever more clear as the submissions progressed that this waste burner must not be allowed to go ahead.”

Norfolk County Council’s barrister said that the application for the facility had been carefully scrutinised by the authority before giving planning permission.

The inquiry will have a gap of a week and recommence next Tuesday.

After the opening, Graham Plant, cabinet member for planning and transportation, said: “Today’s proceedings demonstrate that the inquiry will be an opportunity for all sides to put forward their cases for detailed scrutiny. I welcome this and I’m sure it will be very helpful in reassuring local people about what is a very significant matter for Norfolk.

“It will be for the Inspector to decide what matters are relevant to the inquiry but we remain confident that the application meets all planning policy requirements, that the recommendation made by our planners was correct and that the decision taken by the planning committee was the right one, given national and local planning guidelines.”

 

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.