MRF gate fees have fallen 40% compared with last year, according to WRAP.
The organisation’s Gate Fees Report 2012 says that median MRF gate fees are £9 per tonne, down from £15 per tonne in the 2011 report. For anaerobic digestion (AD), the figure has fallen slightly, at £41 per tonne compared with £43 per tonne in 2011. Fees range from £36 to £64 per tonne regionally.
According to the report, for non-hazardous material, median gate fees for waste recovery/recycling options are substantially lower than those for waste disposal routes.
While some landfill site operators reduced charges to maintain volumes in the face of increased competition, some have increased their gate fees in line with inflation, while others have not changed their gate fees.
Other key findings:
- Many local authorities are receiving revenue rather than paying gate fees for their recovered materials
- For organic treatments, median open-air windrow (OAW) gate fees are lower than those for anaerobic digestion (AD) and in-vessel composting (IVC) which may reflect lower capital and operating costs at OAW sites
- Median AD gate fee for separately collected food waste is slightly lower than the median IVC gate fee for food only and food mixed with garden waste or card
- Median IVC gate fee for garden waste has declined by around £10 per tonne compared to last year’s report
- Cost of disposal to landfill including the landfill tax continues to increase.
- Non-hazardous landfill gate fees (including the landfill tax) remain broadly comparable to gate fees for EfW and MBT options.
WRAP director of market economics Steve Creed said the report highlighted the growing number of cost-effective alternative waste management opinions to landfill, which underlined the economic and environmental savings to be made.
“MRF gate fees have continued to fall and are substantially lower than reported in our previous survey,” he said. “Many local authorities say that they are either not paying gate fees, or are receiving payment for their recovered materials.”
Gate Fees for 2012 and 2011
type of facility
|2012 Median||2012 Range||2011 Median||2011 Range|
|MRF||All||£9||-£66 to £73||£15||£36 to £85|
|Organics||Open-air windrow||£25||£15 to £53||£24||£6 to £51|
|In-vessel, food and garden waste||£44||£28 to £60||£43||£29 to £82|
|AD||£41||£35 to £60||£43||£36 to 64|
|Landfill||Gate fee||£21||£9 to £63||£20||£12 to £55|
|Gatefee plus Landfill Tax||£85||£73 to £127||£76||£68 to £111|
|EfW||Post 2000 facilities||£82||£44 to £101||£73||£54 to £97|
|MBT||£79||£65 to £84||£84||£57 to £100|