Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

News round-up 21/9

Suez opens SRF plant; FCC application sent to communities secretary; Kent recycling rate rises; RDF plant equipment auctioned; High contamination rates in Hartlepool

Suez opens SRF plant

Suez UK has opened its solid recovered fuel (SRF) facility at Rugby (pictured), which will supply the local CEMEX cement plant for the next 25 years.

The plant will supply the UK’s largest cement kiln with a direct replacement for fossil fuel, manufactured using waste from Warwickshire, Northamptonshire and the wider Midlands Area.

The facility can process up to 300,000 tonnes of residual waste each year and around 70% of the input material comes from local, while the remaining 30% is household waste, much of it from Northamptonshire County Council.

Press release

FCC application sent to communities secretary

A planning application submitted by FCC Environment for a waste transfer station in Buckinghamshire has been forwarded to the secretary of state for communities and local government.

This follows the Environment Agency’s withdrawal of an objection to the application for the site at London Road, near Amersham, subject to a number of conditions.

FCC had submitted a revised drainage plan.

Press release

Kent recycling rate rises

Kent Resource Partnership manager Paul Vanston has announced that the group’s recycling rate for 2014-15 provisionally rose by three percentage points to 45.6%.

Vanston shared on social media that the landfill rate for the year was down to its lowest level ever 11%.

Twitter

RDF plant equipment auctioned

More than £1m is expected to be generated when equipment from a refuse-derived fuel plant in North Yorkshire is auctioned.

Equipment from the Walled Garden Partnership plant at Alne will be sold at the end of the month at an auction run by Eddisons.

York Press

High contamination rates in Hartlepool

Householders in Hartlepool are set to be educated on how to recycle more effectively after contamination rates reached their highest level.

The amount of rubbish intended for recycling being rejected has topped 22% against a target of just 5%.

Hartlepool Mail

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.