Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

News round-up 22/1

Biogen funding; tyre fire arrest; family’s waste fine; Surrey EfW appeal; cars block collections

Biogen secures funding from RBS

Renewable energy firm Biogen has secured £22m of funding from the Royal Bank of Scotland to support the continued expansion of the business. 

Biogen designs, builds, owns and operates food waste anaerobic digestion plants.

The revolving and term loan facilities with RBS together with the monies invested to date by Kier Group and the Bedfordia Group, will bring the amount put into Biogen developing plant network so far to £70m.

Man arrested over North Yorkshire tyre fire

A man has been arrested in connection with a huge tyre fire.

The fire, involving more than 15,000 tonnes of tyres, started on 16 January at the Newgen Recycling Centre in Sherburn-in-Elmet near Leeds.

Fire crews are expected to remain on site for two weeks while the fire burns itself out.

North Yorkshire Police said a 51-year-old man was arrested on Monday and released on bail.

Cornwall illegal waste family told to pay £450,000

A family being told to pay more than £450,000 in fines and costs for an illegal waste operation shows such offences are taken seriously, environmental health officers say.

Eight members of the Buckland family admitted charges of illegal waste disposal in Cornwall.

Several thousand tonnes of waste were dumped at Rocks Farm, Bugle, from 2003 to 2011, Truro Crown Court heard.

Surrey waste incinerator appeal withdrawn

Proposals for a controversial waste incinerator in Cobham have been dropped after the applicants SAS Waste Ltd withdrew an appeal.

A planning appeal was due to be heard on 4 March, after the plans were unanimously refused by councillors at Surrey County Council on 6 February 2013.

Councillors on Elmbridge Council’s west area planning sub-committee also unanimously objected to the plans on 5 November 2012, ahead of the application being sent to the county council.

Six weeks before the appeal was due to be heard, the Planning Inspectorate confirmed the appeal hearing was cancelled.

Car owners who block waste collections warned

Owners of illegally parked cars that block access to refuse vehicles causing waste and recycling collections to be missed are to be named and shamed.

Thurrock Council has announced that from tomorrow cars that prevent collections will have a letter placed on them explaining the problem they are causing.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.