Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

News round-up 25/9

Renewables supply rises; CIWM contributes to DoC consulation; NI incinerator plans rejected; Wastecycle tree sculpture

Renewables supply rises

The share of electricity from renewable energy sources has increased by nine percentage points in the last year, according to the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC).

Supply from bioenergy rose by 26% compared to the same period a year earlier (+0.8 TWh) due to increased capacity and the opening of Blackburn Meadows in January.

Shares of electricity supplied by Major Power Producers in the three months to July compared with a year earlier: coal 20.2% (down 4 percentage points), gas 34.6% (down 5pp), nuclear 25.1% (down 0.1pp), renewables (wind, hydro, solar and bioenergy) 20.1% (up 9pp). Overall low carbon electricity’s share was 45.2%.

Press release

CIWM contributes to DoC consulation

The Chartered Institute for Wastes Management (CIWM) has contributed to the Government’s consultation on the Duty of Care Code of Practice, which closed on 21 September.

CIWM called for improved ease of access, additional guidance, and measures to increase awareness of the electronic duty of care (Edoc).

NI incinerator plans rejected

Residents’ concerns and a feared impact on recycling rates influenced a decision to turn down plans for a waste incinerator on the outskirts of Belfast, the Northern Ireland environment minister has said.

Mark H Durkan refused an application for the £240m facility on the old Hightown quarry site near Newtownabbey.

The Arc21 project would have seen waste from six super council areas in the east of Northern Ireland disposed of on site.

Belfast Telegraph

Wastecycle tree sculpture

One tonne of reclaimed metal, donated by Wastecycle, was used in the creation of a seven-foot tall sculpture, pictured, at a Leicestershire hotel.

The metal was given to Leicester-based charity, Soft Touch Arts, for its project to help local young people and adults from disadvantaged backgrounds develop creative, social and communication skills.

The artwork was designed and moulded by  three young women over three days and used 1,000kg of mixed tubes, rods and pieces of assorted scrap metals.

Press release

Related files

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.