Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Pressurised gas cylinder explodes at Warwickshire HWRC

Warwickshire county council has issued a warning over the dangers of incorrectly disposing of gas cylinders following an explosion at a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) in the region.

The Hunters lane HWRC and transfer station was forced to close for 45 minutes after a cylinder exploded while being compacted in a scrap metal skip. However, no-one was injured in the blast.

Cllr Alan Cockburn, Warwickshire county council portfolio holder for environment and economy said: “This was a very serious incident at our Rugby recycling centre and we must warn people not to place gas containers into any of our skips. Responsibility rests with the disposer to ensure full safe and legal handling of any pressurised container.”

“Gas cylinders should go back to their suppliers wherever possible because they are hazardous items and can present a danger to members of the public using our sites.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.