Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

World news round-up 1 October 2014

Europe is market for waste management technologies; Sleeve recycling guidelines released; Connecticut plans battery recycle bill; Newmont mining resumes copper exports

Europe potential for waste management technologies

The South Korean government has joined forces with private companies that want to sell waste management technologies to Central and Eastern European nations. According to a member of the Korea Environmental Industry and Technology Institute, the European Union is providing funds to its members in Central and Eastern Europe to improve their environmental infrastructure.

Korea Times

Sleeve recycling guidelines published

Guidelines on the use of shrink sleeve labels have been published in the US. The Association of Postconsumer Plastic Recyclers (APPR) has suggested using sleeve labels that will float in water and separate from PET flakes in a sink or during the float material separation process. The group also recommends the use of printed label inks that do not stain PET flakes in the wash or rinse step of recycling. Also, it was suggested that an APPR guidance document should be used to assess the impact a label would have on PET bottle recycling.

European Plastics

Malta gets waste treatment plant  

Malta’s north mechanical and biological waste treatment plant project, located behind the former Maghtab dump, is to cost €60m (£47m) of which €43m is being financed by the European Union. Presently, 240,000 tonnes of waste is generated annually of which 200,000 is mixed and bulky refuse. Currently 30% of waste is treated by Wasteserv which claims the new project will treat the remaining 70%. The facility will be the biggest treatment plant in Malta handling 66,000 tonnes of domestic waste, 47,000 tonnes of commercial waste and 39,000 tonnes of manure every year.

Malta independent

Ontario upgrades its solid-waste facilities

Ontario’s Environmental Facilities Corp (EFC) will provide Casella Waste Systems a loan of $40m (£25m) to upgrade 19 of its solid-waste facilities throughout the state. This includes the Ontario County landfill, FCR Ontario Recycling in Seneca and Appleton Disposal in Geneva. The company is waiting for approval from the state Department of Environmental Conservation for expanding the landfill by 43.5 acres within the existing footprint.

Finger Lake Times

Connecticut plans battery bill

Connecticut is set to be the first US state to establish a battery recycling bill that includes single-use alkaline batteries and rechargeable batteries. The bill would include various types of batteries such as alkaline, zinc carbon, lithium primary silver oxide, and zinc-air. In addition, computer, cell, rechargeable, and watch batteries would fall under the purview of the bill. Environmental officials in the state are teaming up with battery manufacturers to create a bill that will be introduced in the 2015 legislative session.

Waste Dive

Lead-acid battery recycling project in China

Chaowei Power is about to operate a lead-acid battery recycling project at Xinhe County of Hebei Province, in China which is expected to recycle 150,000 tonnes of lead from scrap batteries annually. Chaowei Power constructed the park in 2012, with an investment of CNY2.2bn (£220m). A total of 45 million new-energy batteries will be produced once all projects come online.

Newmont Mining resumes copper exports in Indonesia

Newmont Mining has restarted copper shipments from Indonesia after a gap of nine months. US-based miners Newmont and Freeport-McMoRan had halted exports in January after Indonesia levied a tax that the miners said violated their mining contracts. Newmont signed an agreement to resolve the export dispute with the Indonesian government early in September and will resume full operations at its Batu Hijau mine within six to eight weeks.


Indian steel output growth rate beats world average

Steel production in India jumped 5.2% to reach 7.2 million tonnes, outperforming the world’s average in August. According to World Steel Association, global production increased by an average of 1.4% last month to 135 million tonnes compared to the same month a year ago.

Business Line

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.