Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

'£100m needed' to recycle plastic films

A £100m investment in collection, sorting and recycling infrastructure would be needed before the UK could recycle most flexible plastic packaging, a research project by plastics recycler Axion has found.

The company said some 414,000 tonnes of plastic-based flexible packaging is put on the market each year, comprising 27% of consumer plastic packaging.

Most ended up in landfills or energy recovery, with growth in recycling rates having slowed to 45.2% now after climbing sharply from 12% to 40% between 2001-10.

Axion’s head of circular economy Richard McKinlay said: “The big problem is the lack of adequate facilities designed to process these largely recyclable materials.”

A two-year research project by the company had found that 80% of post-consumer flexible packaging – either polypropylene (PP) or polyethylene (PE) – could be recycled, including those with metallised and barrier coatings. Some of the remaining 20% could also be recycled if innovative barrier and sealing materials were used.

McKinlay said the project had shown the technical feasibility of recycling on a small scale but a larger demonstration was needed.

“Moving forward, more funding of around £100m is required if we wanted to enable PP and PE film recycling from kerbside collections,” he said, suggesting that the money could come from extended producer responsibility schemes that would encourage brands to design for recycling in exchange for reduced compliance fees.

McKinlay said it would be important to create end markets for recycled polymers, such as films and injection-moulded products.

Readers' comments (1)

  • No, not at all.

    We can convert the plastics to useful "alternative products" that will remove the products (the plastics) from Society already by simple reduction processes and the residues will be available as a reusable fuel and carbon black (biochar.)

    This is not rocket science but realistic.

    The approach has already been made to the major Countries that generate masses of waste plastic, and they are adopting this this year.

    Converting oil-based plastics to fuels like - say - those that are used in transport is incredibly easy and the business cases and the return on investment in a time frame of less than 8 to 9 years works well. The process can even be fitted (mounted) on a barge or a boat and these can be strategically placed around the world to deal with the sources of plastics we see floating.

    All the time we see the notion of "recycling" being used in front of plastics the idea is returning the "dirty" plastics back to another form of plastic when in the Circular Economy that issue is a nonsense.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.