More than 70 firefighters have brought a blaze under control at one of W&S Recycling’s premises in Poole.
A Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said 10 fire engines and two support appliances attended the fire which broke out in a pile of mixed recycling..
“There was a huge plume of smoke and its quite a busy area, so people were advised to take precautions but I’m not aware of any toxicity,” she said.
W&S Recycling said the fire broke out at a facility that processes mixed bulky household waste including mattresses, duvets, pillows and broken furniture.
It said some 20 tonnes of bulky household waste was destroyed in the fire, “which looked dramatic due to the plume of smoke arising from the yard, but was not toxic in nature”.Commercial director Tony Knowles said local reports of 600 tonnes of material on fire were “exaggerated”.
Some 20% of the facility’s operational area was affected and a W&S grab located on the site was used to lift segments of the burning material to be doused, treated and made safe by firefighters.
Normal operations resumed the next day.
Picture: Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service