A Welsh landfill company has been fined £180,000 after a worker had to have both legs amputated after being run over.
Sundorne Products, part of the Potter Group, in Welshpool, Powys, admitted breaching two sections of the Health and Safety at Work (1974) Act and was also ordered to pay costs of £7,657.
Mold Crown Court heard how the worker was walking across the yard at the Bryn Posteg landfill site in Llanidloes when he was hit by a large shovel loader on 6 November 2015.
He suffered severe injuries, and needed both legs amputated at the mid-thigh and was hospitalised for six months.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company did not have controls in place to protect workers from the high volume of on-site vehicles and traffic.
Although it had previously identified the risk and how it could prevent workers being hit by vehicles, no measures were put in place.
HSE inspector Mhairi Duffy said: “It is extremely important to identify how to protect your workers – but you must back this up with action.
“This worker and his family’s lives have been changed for ever because Sundorne Products failed to take action and protect its workers. All businesses that have high volumes of vehicles on their sites can learn from this case.”