Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

News round-up 5/2

GIB investment in wind farms; First Scottish council makes recycling pledge; NI minister denies threat from dump; Viridor targets coal workers

GIB investment in wind farms

The Green Investment Bank’s Offshore Wind Fund and associated funds managed by BlackRock have acquired GLID Wind Farms TopCo Limited from Centrica and EIG Global Energy Partners in a transaction worth £423m.

The fund will now own a 61% stake in the 194 MW, 54 turbine Lynn and Inner Dowsing offshore wind farms, located off the coast of Lincolnshire. The BlackRock-managed funds will own the remaining 39% of the projects.

The transaction marks the first time that operating offshore wind farms in the UK have been 100% owned by non-utility investors.

Press release

First Scottish council makes recycling pledge

Scotland’s environment secretary Richard Lochhead has praised Falkirk Council for being the first local authority to sign up to the Scottish Government and COSLA’s Household Recycling Charter.

The charter includes a three-stream recycling system, which will include one container for glass, one for paper and card, and one for metals and plastics, together with existing food waste and residual collections.

After signing the voluntary charter, councils will receive support from Zero Waste Scotland in developing plans to introduce the new system.

Press release

NI minister denies threat from dump

Northern Ireland environment minister Mark H Durkan has given reassurance that there is no evidence of any adverse effect on the quality of Derry’s drinking water from an illegal dump at Mobuoy.

There had been speculation created that the huge dump was polluting the City’s drinking water but he said this is not the case.

Durkan said: “My department will continue to work closely with NI Water to ensure that all necessary safeguards continue to be in place.”

Press release

Viridor targets coal workers

Waste giant Viridor targeted staff at Scottish Power’s Longannet Power Station who may have the right transferable skills for the company’s £1.8bn UK energy recovery facilities programme.

The Longannet site, which is Scotland’s last coal-fired power station, is due to close in March. Scottish Power hosted a recent employment event for affected staff to speak with potential employers.

Press release

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.