Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Organic content of fines is cut by 87%

H&A Recycling in Cornwall has contracted Advetec reseller Biozolve to supply and install an industrial-scale biothermic digester (BTD) to help reduce the organic content in trade and black bag waste and cut transport, handling and landfill costs by £400,000 a year.

The business processes 24,000 tonnes of waste a year at its MRF in Redruth. Organic-rich trommel fines from the recycling process, some 4,000 tonnes, had been going straight to landfill, attracting costs in the region of £120 per tonne.

H&A will use the Advetec machine to digest and remove organic content from the fines.

During trials, the organic content was reduced by 87%, leaving 13% as a biologically inert residue that could be utilised as refuse-derived fuel or added to biomass.

As well as managing the pilot, Biozolve provided a full site survey to establish siting and operational options to suit H&A Recycling’s existing plant layout and requirements.

Hopper and conveyor feed systems (pictured) were designed for optimal loading of the digester, and will allow for better control of odour because the unit is sealed to the external environment.

Allan Holmes, H&A Recycling managing director, said: “Zero landfill is our goal and the Advetec solution is a significant step towards our 2014 targets. It will give us far better control over any potential environmental issues at our site.

“The BTD will help us to control costs at a time when transport expenditure and landfill taxes for organic waste continue to rise.”

www.advetec.net

www.biozolve.co.uk

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.