WINNER: Simon Ellin, Recycling Association
The Editor’s Award is MRW’s way of recognising those in the industry who are making a difference.
Simon Ellin, chief executive of the Recycling Association, was this year’s recipient. Ellin has been a key voice both within the industry and outside it. He has been championing relentlessly the importance of quality within the industry for several years, and sounded an early warning on the China situation.
Recognising the importance of educating the entire supply chain, he has also been engaging actively with other sectors to help them understand the issues that recyclers face in a bid to effect change.
Ellin has also become a regular and active spokesperson for the recycling sector on mainstream media outlets, bringing the issues that recyclers face to the fore. He famously named and shamed Pringles as one of the worst packaging offenders for recyclability – it is understood that the brand is now redesigning its packaging.
Ellin received his award from MRW associate editor Andrea Lockerbie.
A huge thank you to the judges of our awards
- Jane Beasley, director, Beasley Associates
- Cathy Bryant, waste consultant, CMA
- Simon Ellin, chief executive, The Recycling Association
- Simon Harbridge, chief executive, Stone Group
- Paul Hayes, director for environmental sustainability, Cummins
- Sarah Gazzola, commercial manager, energy services, Socotec
- Stuart Hayward-Higham, technical development director, Suez
- Vicki Hughes, group business development director, Hadfield Wood Recyclers
- Steve Loudoun, chief officer for environment & public protection, environment, culture & communities, Bracknell Forest Council
- Peter Maddox, director government programmes, WRAP
- Lee Marshall, chief executive, Local Authority Recycling Advisory Committee (Larac)
- Sarah Mellor, head of corporate services, Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority
- John Skidmore, director of adults, health and customer services, East Riding of Yorkshire Council
- Carole Taylor, chair and north-west rep, Larac
- John Twitchen, director, env23
- Phillip Ward, chair, Resource Futures
- Alan Wheeler, director, Textile Recycling Association
- David Whitehouse, waste disposal & contracts manager, Dudley Council