Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of MRW, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Windmill site owners given waste deadline

Owners of land around the UK’s only surviving eight-sailed windmill have been given until 29 June this year to clear it of waste.

Peter Jeffrey Pocklington and Martyn Nicholas Pocklington pleaded guilty on Monday 6 February to two offences of illegally storing waste on land at Heckington Windmill in Lincolnshire.

The Environment Agency said the land had been used to store waste, including asbestos, construction refuse and astroturf, since the end of 2008.

The watchdog told Lincoln Magistrates’ Court it was not clear who had deposited all the waste but that at least one tenant and fly-tippers had dumped rubbish.

It said the Pocklingtons were advised several times that they could not store waste without an appropriate environmental permit yet the waste was still on site the week before the court case.

A sentence was deferred until 11 July 2012.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.